Saturday, February 18
9:00 - 11: 00 a.m. Dental Ethics and Law: Refocusing Our Moral Lens
Healthcare is a complicated environment. Practitioners are challenged to provide diagnostic services, review all treatment options, respect patient privacy, and deliver optimal care. Our code of ethics sets professional standards, while various state and federal laws govern how clinicians perform their duties. Clinicians everywhere struggle with real-life situations involving ethical principles, values, and legal conundrums. This course will spotlight actual cases clinicians face daily and provide strategies to refocus and navigate common dilemmas.
- Discover how dental law and dental ethics intersect
- Explore the code of ethics in dentistry
- Evaluate and debate ethical dilemmas using case studies
- Explain the term "profession" and how it defines a health care provider
- Discuss the legal obligations of decision-making and potential ethical ramifications
- Recognize how to take the emotion out of the decision-making process
Shavonne R. Healy is the founder of A Higher Learning, LLC. She is a public health advocate with more than 20 years of experience in clinical care as a dental assistant and dental hygienist. Her organization is transforming and advancing the delivery of dental care through higher education, innovation and preventive and nonsurgical practice. She is an expert in the treatment of periodontal and peri-implant disease, and her international presentations have inspired clinicians, alumni and faculty worldwide. Shavonne received a master’s degree in dental hygiene from the University of Bridgeport: Fones School of Dental Hygiene, the first dental hygiene school in the world.